Hey everyone! As promised, we're committed to keeping our community updated on a bi-weekly cadence by 9AM PT on Wednesday mornings. The last two weeks have been a flurry of activity for the Standard Library team — last week I was in Reykjavik, Iceland to present at BlueYard's Future of Software Development Conference, this week we'll be at ServerlessDays London, and on top of that, there have been some recent festivities for our North American friends and colleagues. July 1st was Canada day, and now that today is the 4th, happy Independence Day to our American community!
We've gotten off to quite a celebratory start this week. Following that excitement, we're happy to talk to you today about a very important update to Code.xyz. Since the launch of Code.xyz last month, we've had a few developers lose their API development progress by navigating between pages or hitting "back" in the web browser accidentally with no way to recover their work. We've now fixed this problem — at the popular request of our community, we've added a brand new cloud-based API autosave feature. In addition, we've also added the ability to delete existing APIs from within the Code.xyz API selection screen.
Code.xyz Feature — API Autosave
- All API projects you work on via Code.xyz will now be autosaved every time you hit the orange "save" button in the bottom right
- This feature replaces the previous behavior of being a local, temporary save only
- You can load autosaves from the "Open Existing API..." prompt, which shows any actively deployed (and live) APIs, along with cloud autosaves at the top
- We've also added the ability to delete both APIs and autosaves from this prompt — be careful, this cannot be undone!
- To remove an API, simply right-click it in the "open existing API..." dialog
Try it out!
Here's our embedded sample API. You can try out API autosave by changing the file in any way you'd like and hitting Save in the bottom right. You can then try to open your Autosave by going to your user menu in the bottom left and hitting "Open Existing API..." — the autosave should appear at the top.
We hope you enjoy — we have a lot more coming, and we'd love to hear your feedback. Drop us a line any time on our community Slack workspace (click for an invitation). To the thousands of developers building APIs with us since we've launched Code.xyz, thank you!
Happy to have you with us,